Productivity Hacks for Your Life Abroad
Updated: Mar 20, 2019
I LOVE talking about productivity and how to get things done, because I used to identify as a massive procrastinator.
Through working with a coach a couple years ago, I realized thoughts like "I am a procrastinator" and "I always start things but never finish them" were just beliefs I had thought so much they felt like truths. (And they were not serving me at all.)
The real truth is we get to believe whatever we want about ourselves! So I worked hard on believing that I was a person who was super productive and always got things done.
As an expat, you have an added layer of uncertainty in your life. Unexpected things come up a lot more often, a task that you think will take an hour (I'm looking at you, immigration office) take half a day. I always factor this in when I do my planning.
How to get everything done:
1. Pick ONE calendar that you can commit to using daily. I use Google Calendar and it syncs across all my devices.
2. Organize everything that needs to get done into groups, and color code each group in your calendar. I have the following groups: Home, Work, Self-Coaching, Exercise, Family, Personal, and Routines
3. Put EVERY task in your calendar. (And don't forget to schedule down time!) I take one hour at the end of each month to set up the month ahead generally, and I take one hour every Sunday to set up the week ahead in detail.
4. For bigger projects that have multiple tasks within them, I write out every small thing that needs to get done, and schedule every single sub-task in my calendar.
5. Honor your calendar - this is the hardest part by far. Expect that your brain will resist doing what is on your calendar. Sometimes I look at my day ahead and I don't want to do anything on the schedule. I do it anyway. (This brain management piece is EVERYTHING.)
6. Over time, honoring your calendar daily adds up to huge wins and it means you can accomplish any big goal you have! This gives you even more momentum to continue.
Working with me can help
To learn more about how you can harness the power of your brain to get the results you want in your life, book a free discovery session with me. We will work together to get clear about what you really want, determine what is holding you back, and identify powerful actions you can take to create your best life abroad. Book here: https://calendly.com/jenknight/free-session
Hi, I'm Jen! I am a US expat currently living in Thailand with my wonderful husband.
I always strive to learn, grow, and be the best version of myself, and I'm so grateful I get to spend my days working with amazing expat women like you:
Women who are smart and want to reach their goals, but need help overcoming obstacles so they can create their best lives abroad.